13 Very Important Things to Do about Global Warming...from the individual to the national
1. Learn about it -- start with this Web site and see the References.
2. Sell the SUV and choose cleaner, more efficient vehicles. Reduce your driving: one gallon of gas burned creates 20 pounds of CO2. Slow down for much better mileage. (Avoid biofuels like corn ethanol that can steal food from a hungry world.)
3. Use efficient appliances, replace light bulbs with low-voltage compact fluorescents, check your home insulation. Buy renewable energy, like wind and solar, from your power company.
4. Companies -- the one you work for and the ones you buy from -- can save lots of money and reduce global warming by taking similar steps toward energy efficiency.
5. Shop smart: Look for products made from recycled materials, created with renewable energy, and which help you save money and reduce pollution. Let the corporations who make our cars, fuels, goods and power know you want their products to be as ecological as possible.
6. Use your vote and influence as a citizen to elect responsive leaders; help them organize the neighborhood and town for energy efficiency.
7. Invite neighbors and schools to cooperate in climate cooling actions: Make pathways for walking and biking; put solar panels on roofs; plant community gardens; combine trips or use electric buses for daily errands and kid transport.
8. Suburban sprawl makes for lots of global warming pollution; plan for walkable communities, lots of trees, open spaces, and public transportation in and between cities.
9. Build new homes and buildings for efficiency and solar power. Follow LEED and green building principles in new and rehab building codes.
10. Support sustainable farming and forestry, including non-food crops to make into ethanol and other biofuels.
11. At all government levels, develop an efficient energy policy, moving away from fossil fuels, and wasteful practices like air shipment of non-urgent parts and products.
12. Export new energy technology to the rest of the world that uses renewable energy sources and helps people live healthier, more efficient lives.
13. ....and start doing these things today.